QUERY: Coding convention

Dave Ihnat, Chicago, IL ignatz at ihuxx.UUCP
Sat Jun 30 02:39:40 AEST 1984

Yes, I know..multiple postings...but a pointer would require as much of
the net resources as this simple query, and I want people who read all
these groups.  Specifically:  When writing code that is to work for
BSD and USG unix, the standard method in the past has been to use some
flag in an '#ifdef'.  Now this is fine, BUT:  at different times, I've
seen all of the following: BSD, BSD2, B4.2 for Berkeley, and V7, SYS3,
USG, and USG3.0 for the product originating at Bell Laboratories (Now
known as AT&T Bell Laboratories...for the lawyers reading this.
Happy guys?)

Can we reach some consensus for a convention that makes sense for
ongoing versions, and isn't tied to something that may become obsolete
(such as USG--stood for Unix Support Group)?  Perhaps, if we come up with
something coherent enough, maybe the Berkeley people and WeCo could
actually agree to put an identifier in the 'C' compiler, much in the
way that the machine type is identified in the current compiler.

All suggestions and comments should be MAILED to me. (Flames will
probably go to /dev/water.bucket--or you may get 'em back, with interest...)
Assuming that I get any responses, NLT than two weeks after the last,
I'll summarize the responses to the net.

			Thanks,

				Dave Ihnat
				ihuxx!ignatz