hack distribution

play at turing.UUCP play at turing.UUCP
Sun Feb 10 15:41:17 AEST 1985

I just received the 25th letter telling me not to post updates as
simple diffs; people change the hack source themselves and have a
lot of trouble applying the diffs to their modified sources. So
next time it must be a context diff. But the previous simple diff
already produced an article larger than notesfile can handle, and
context diffs will be considerably larger. My question is: what
do you prefer for version 1.0.2: a context diff (280K) or the entire
source again (400K)? [For comparison: a simple diff between versions
1.0.1 and 1.0.2 is 75K.] I can also compactify the whole source
mechanically, throwing away layout and comments and shortening the
identifiers; this might reduce the whole thing to perhaps 150K.
Reply by mail (and certainly not to net.sources).