PC JOVE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN (neither is non-pc JOVE)

Davidsen davidsen at steinmetz.UUCP
Wed Feb 12 02:13:43 AEST 1986

In article <320 at yetti.UUCP> oz at yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <3704 at pur-ee.UUCP> davy at pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:
>>
>>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>>
>>/*************************************************************************
>> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
>> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
>> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
>> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
>> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
>> *************************************************************************/

This notice contains two parts:
 1) it is free for licensed UNIX systems. I can't see anyone claiming that
this doesn't include the ATT7300.
 2) you may not SELL (emphasis mine)
    a) copies of this program
    b) versions modified for use on a microcomputer.

Item two does not seem to prohibit personal use of the program on a
microcomputer. It obviously prohibits sale of such a version, and I doubt
that anyone could miss the fact that giving the PC version away would
reduce sales.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen at ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."