copyright notice

dgary at ecsvax.UUCP dgary at ecsvax.UUCP
Tue Jan 14 02:02:39 AEST 1986

In article <1536 at wanginst.UUCP> mckeeman at wanginst.UUCP (William McKeeman) writes:
>*                      ShareWare Copyright Notice                        *
>*               Copyright I.M. Author.    month day, year                *
>*                                                                        *
>* In recognition of the contributions of those who have gone before, and *
>* to encourage those who will follow, the attached software is placed in *
>* The Public Domain.    /s/  I. M. Author  month day, year               *

William says this lets the author retain copyright while permitting the
work to be freely copied.  I'm pretty sure that's not the case.  If you
"place something in the public domain" you have just given up your
copyright, by definition of "public domain."  Far safer is to say
"permission is hereby granted to copy and use this work except for
profit" or words to that effect.

Incidentally, Americans should note that if you put a copyright notice
on something you are legally obligated to send a copy to the Library of
Congress *whether or not you choose to register your copyright claim*!
If you elect not to register, you need not send any fee, just the work
itself.  (This does wonders for the L of C acqusitions budget.)  People
choosing to assert copyright in other countries should check their
domestic laws.

Usual disclaimer:  I'm not a lawyer, but I have a long-standing interest
in copyright law.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706