copyright notice

William McKeeman mckeeman at wanginst.UUCP
Fri Jan 10 05:39:06 AEST 1986

For those who may choose to use it, I offer the following copyright notice.
It serves two purposes.  (1) The author owns the copyright which prevents
anyone else from attempting to copyright it.  (2) The software it protects
can be freely used by anyone else for any purpose, except for the purpose of
restricting its distribution.

This is not the same as the gnu approach, where an attempt is made to coerce
the user into a particular kind of sharing.

User Beware: I am not a lawyer and do not pretend to know all the legal
ramifications of the wording of my proposal.  I am submitting this also to
net.legal in case someone there would care to enlighten us free programmers.

*                      ShareWare Copyright Notice                        *
*               Copyright I.M. Author.    month day, year                *
* In recognition of the contributions of those who have gone before, and *
* to encourage those who will follow, the attached software is placed in *
* The Public Domain.    /s/  I. M. Author  month day, year               *