copyright notice

dgary at ecsvax.UUCP dgary at ecsvax.UUCP
Wed Jan 29 08:01:34 AEST 1986

In article <379 at 3comvax.UUCP> mykes at 3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>Is it sufficient to mail yourself a copy of the source (and leave it
>postmarked and unopened) to protect a "copyright" ?

This has often been suggested as a means of protecting patentable ideas
in development by helping establish prior invention to any competing
claims.  I've no idea whether it's a good idea in that context.
(Couldn't someone claim you'd just opened and resealed the envelope?)
It does occur to me that since the current copyright law allows
registration of unpublished works in the copyright office, that would
be a good idea for anyone really worried about having an idea swiped
(nothing says you can't copyright the plans for an invention as a work
of art or literature!).  Under the law, you own copyright to any
*unpublished* work even if you leave out copyright notice.  (Actually,
the term "published" applies to written works, but similar rules apply
to music, films, etc.)

>Is a header that says something like:
>
>(C)1986, ABC CORP. All rights reserved!
>Feel free to distribute this on a non-profit basis.
>
>enough to keep a program from being public domain, yet freely
>distributable?

>From what I've read, the answer is probably "yes," except that spelling
out the word "Copyright" is a good idea.  As it has already been noted,
whether (C) will be accepted as an alternative to the international
c-in-a-circle symbol is by no means certain.

I repeat I'm a layperson with longstanding interest in copyright and
publishing law.  If you need legal advice for goodness sake talk to a
real lawyer specializing in the appropriate field.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706