copyright notice

suze at terak.UUCP suze at terak.UUCP
Sat Jan 25 05:07:31 AEST 1986

> > Incidentally, Americans should note that if you put a copyright notice
> > on something you are legally obligated to send a copy to the Library of
> > Congress *whether or not you choose to register your copyright claim*!

True

> From what I recall from oh-so-many moons ago in school, to copyright a
> work, you must place the appropriate notice on the work, and place a
> copy of the work in an at least semi-public library (i.e. publish it).
> This library need not be the Library of Congress.
> --
Not true, it MUST be the Library of Congress. For reference
see _Circular_R1_Copyright_Basics_ published by the Copyright
Office, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. 20559. Copyright
law was revised in 1978. You do NOT have to put a notice on a
work to protect its copyright, but it's a lot harder to prove
that you own the copyright if you don't. If you do put the
notice on, you are "subject to mandatory deposit with the
Library of Congress. ..." (See Circular R1, described above).
Two copies are required. If you don't use a copyright notice you
aren't required to make a deposit. If required to make a
deposit, you can be fined for not doing so. If you want
further info call the Copyright Office's Information number:
(202) 287-8700. They are open 9-5 EST.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze