copyright notice

suze at terak.UUCP suze at terak.UUCP
Sat Jan 25 05:18:56 AEST 1986

> > Incidentally, Americans should note that if you put a copyright notice
> > on something you are legally obligated to send a copy to the Library of
> > Congress *whether or not you choose to register your copyright claim*!
> > If you elect not to register, you need not send any fee, just the work
> > itself.  (This does wonders for the L of C acqusitions budget.)  People
> > choosing to assert copyright in other countries should check their
> > domestic laws.
> >
> > Usual disclaimer:  I'm not a lawyer, but I have a long-standing interest
> > in copyright law.
>
> I believe this is incorrect.
>
> The Copyright Office's R1 circular says on page 5:
>
>   "           HOW TO SECURE A COPYRIGHT
>    Copyright Secured Automatically Upon Creation
>
>    The way in which copyright protection is secured under
>    the present law is frequently misunderstood. No publication
>    or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is
>    required to secure copyright under the present law, unlike
>    the previous law, which required either publication with the
>    copyright notice or registration in the Copyright Office....
>
>    Under the prsent law, copyright is secure automatically
>                                              -------------
>    when the work is created, and a work is 'created' when it is
>    fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time."
>
> For more information write:
>
>    Information & Publication Section
>    LM-455
>    Copyright Office
>    Library of Congress
>    Washington, D.C. 20559
>
> And ask for information about or regestration forms for computer software.
>
> Or call (202) 287-9100 and leave recorded request.
> Or call (202) 287-8700 during business hours for information.
>
> -----------------
> Carl M. Kadie  - U. of Illinois
>

> /* End of text from uiucdcs:net.sources */

You're both right! The first article was in reference to a
work *with a copyright notice* placed on the work. The second
says that even if the notice isn't there, the work is
protected.

However, in the second case, it may be harder to
prove that the copyright belongs to you and not the "slimy
person/entity" who is trying to steal your work and claim it
as his/her own.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze