checkmail

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr
Wed Sep 3 01:33:14 AEST 1986

	Bill Silvert suggests using the ".mailrc" file to keep track of
	the last time you checked for mail programmatically.

Neat suggestion.

	Well...this is not a real good technique since evil things can
	happen when the user decides to edit their `.mailrc' file.

Oops, didn't think of that.

	Instead, I recommend people using "newmail" or "wnewmail" from
	the Elm Mail System package, available through your local
	mod.sources site :-)

	Ah! You say, How often do people touch their .mailrc file?
	You'd be suprised...IF I were using a mailer that used a
	.mailrc file I'd be changing it weekly - since I have a LOT of
	aliases and am constantly changing them as people move, as new
	routes turn out to be better, and as I find new people worth
	keeping track of...

True, but if you're playing with your .mailrc you must have just read
mail, or are just about to read it. In any case, it doesn't matter.

						-- Dave Taylor

				unbiased author of the Elm Mail System

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
He is the MELBA-BEING...the ANGEL CAKE...XEROX him...XEROX him --