soundex algorithm wanted

Ed Falk falk at sun.uucp
Fri Sep 5 10:48:29 AEST 1986

> Unfortunately, it doesn't generate correct Soundex codes.
> The algorithm is actually pretty tricky, and I've seen
> lots that don't handle names like Lloyd and Manning
> properly.  Here's one that I believe is correct:
> -----

Both this version and the previous version had the same bug, to wit:

	lc = tolower(*name);

The 'tolower' function only works if the input was already upper case.
(at least in bsd 4.2 that's the way it is).  The line should read

	lc = isupper(*name) ? tolower(*name) : *name ;

Also, this version left trailing "0"'s on the output.  Is this right?

Perhaps someone could just post the plain english description of
soundex...

		    thanx..
--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems