v02INF1: Introduction to comp.sources.x

Mike Wexler mikew at wyse.wyse.com
Sat Oct 15 03:52:13 AEST 1988

Submitted-by: mikew at wyse.com (Mike Wexler)
Posting-number: Volume 2, Info 1
Archive-name: intro2.1

This is the first of two introductory articles about comp.sources.x.
This one describes how to submit source to the newsgroup, where the
archive sites are, and how to contact them.  The companion articles lists
all previously-published sources.

I am always looking for suggestions on how to improve the usefulness
of the newsgroup, and can be contacted as listed below.
			-Mike Wexler

--------------------
Subject: Submitting source for publication

Items intended for posting or queries and problem notes should be sent to
wyse.com!x-sources.

If you want verification of arrival, so say in a cover note, or at the
beginning of your submission, if it is small.  I try to verify that a
program works, and if I can't get it to work, I may hold up posting it
for a couple of days.  Please note that, except in rare cases, source
that doesn't meet the guidelines will not be published.  The backlog
from receipt to posting varies from one to four weeks depending mostly
on the set of submissions currently in my queue and my current work load.

-------------------
Subject: Guidelines

To make life easier for both me and the users of the comp.sources.x
newsgroup, I will require that the following be included in postings.
	1.	shell commands to extract all the files - This means
		the postings should be in shar format.
	2.	source code - Fonts in bdf format are ok, but may be
		posted differently.
	3.	a README file - This should be a brief description
		of what this program does.
	4.	a Makefile
	5.	a man page
	6.	a patchlevel.h -- This keeps track of how many official
		patches have been applied.  When you send out a
		modification it should be in context diff format
		and it should update the patchlevel.h file.
If any of the above are not included, I will tell the poster and
wait until they are included before I post the program.
The following things should be included, but are not required yet.
	1.	A list of authors and their copying policy. Please put
		this in a file called AUTHOR.
	2.	filenames that are 12 or fewer characters long
	3.	#include <X11/Xos.h> instead of things like types.h, strings.h
		and time.h
	4.	use -display displayname and -geometry geomspec instead of old
		style.
	5.	an Imakefile
BTW, items 1 & 2 in the optional list are required by MIT if you want to
be put on their source tape.

--------------------
Subject:  The structure of comp.sources.x articles

Each posting in comp.sources.x is called an "issue"; there are roughly 100
issues to a volume.  The division is arbitrary, and has varied greatly in
the past.  There are two types of articles in comp.sources.x; sources
and "information postings."  They can be distinguished by the subject
line:
	Subject:  v07INF8:  Index for Volume 7 and other info
This first word in the title identifies this as the eighth info posting of
volume seven.  Similarly, the subject line shown below:
	Subject:  v01i060:  select: a selection widget, Part01/01
identifies this as the 60th source article in Volume 1.  All sources are
broken up into pieces.  This is part 1 of a 1 part posting.