v04INF3: README

Dan Heller argv at island.uu.net
Tue Jul 25 18:50:44 AEST 1989

Submitted-by: Dan Heller <island!argv at cad.berkeley.edu>
Posting-number: Volume 4, Info 3

If you haven't noticed, and you should have, the last posting of
xconf all had the same subject:
    xconf -- X-based conferencing tool, Part01/05
Yes, even tho they are all labelled part 01/05, rest assured that
they are all different.  Just unshar them all and you'll see.
So much for writing clever shell scripts....

And something new...  there has been lots of discussion going on about
the Patch-To: header for source postings which contain patches...
Therefore, if you are sending me a patch to a previous posting, please
include info about the original archive name, volume and issue number
as it appeared in this newsgroup!  If you are sending a patch to
something that hasn't been posted to this newsgroup, then don't worry
about it.

Now, I wish to do a top ten list..
Your attention please...

    "Top 10 pet peeves of the comp.sources.x moderator."

10.  Submissions that do not contain a README or Imakefile file.

9.   Submissions that do not contain a man page.

8.   People who ask me if there are any postscript previewers available.

7.   People who send me sources using uuencode (use "shar" files < 75K each).

6.   Programs that don't compile right the first time.

5.   That guy who sends me those digitized frames from the Rob Lowe video.

4.   Shell scripts that post the wrong subject line.

3.   Patches that don't apply correctly.

2.   No, I don't know when R4 is going to be released.

    And the #1 pet peeve by the comp.sources.x moderator...

1.   Requests for previous postings to be resent to them.

-----------
All seriousness aside... on the last point, I keep a backlog of about
2 weeks for postings and then out they go.  We just don't have the disk
space for this stuff.  Besides, there are much easier and faster ways to
get postings that you missed.  Those of you with ftp access can merely
ftp to uunet.uu.net or some other locale if that's not possible.  There
are places all over the US that advertises itself as an archive site for
sources and stuff.  If you don't have ftp, then many of these archive
sites have email based message systems where you can just mail to it a
request for a particular source and it automatically sends it to you.

Those of you who run such a site (including uunet), please mail me info
about your site and what kind of automated system you're running and I
will keep a database for those who missed this note or who decided not
to read this article :-).  This question comes up so often that I'd just
assume have a canned reply for each one.