How to post submissions (if you've never read it, read it again.)

Dan Heller argv at sun.com
Mon May 13 05:59:19 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: Dan Heller <argv at sun.com>
Posting-number: Volume 12, Info 1
Archive-name: .junk

New info:

o   *PLEASE* do not *post* submissions -- *MAIL* them to:
	comp-sources-x at uunet.uu.net
    and *ONLY* to that address.  DO NOT send to argv at zipcode.com!!!

o   This is NOT a discussion group.  Do not mail to comp-sources-x
    (or me) in an effort to ask a large group of people if they know
    where to get sources for `???'.  You should ask on comp.windows.x
    or comp.sources.wanted.

o   When posting patches to your older sources, *PLEASE* include
    the volume and issue numbers of all previous versions of the
    software since its last *complete* posting.  William Cheng seems
    to be the only person who does this right! :-) :-)

Now, for those who are not familiar with how to post sources...
-----------
This is the first of two introductory messages about comp.sources.x.
There are *many* things covered in this posting -- each new topic is
preceded by a Subject: line.  If you get bored reading a particular
section, fast forward to the next Subject: line and read that one.
Please don't submit sources without having read -everything- in this
file (you'll be tested and graded later :-).

Most of all, this posting describes how to submit sources to comp.sources.x,
where the archive sites are, and how to contact them.  The second lists
the sources that have been published in this newsgroup.

NOTE 1:
    Many people are submitting sources that do not have an Imakefile
    or a patchlevel.h.  You *must* provide these!  I no longer have the
    time to create them for you.  Further submissions that do not have
    these files will be rejected.

NOTE 2:
    Patches *must* contain an update to patchlevel.h and indicate which
    volume and issue numbers that precede this patch.  This includes both
    the original posting and previous patches.

--------------------
Subject:  The structure of comp.sources.x articles

Each posting in comp.sources.x is called an "issue"; there are roughly 100
issues to a volume.  The division is arbitrary, and has varied greatly in
the past.  There are two types of articles in comp.sources.x; sources
and "information postings."  They can be distinguished by the subject
line:
	Subject:  v03INF1:  Introduction to comp.sources.x

This first word in the title identifies this as the first info posting of
volume three.  Similarly, the subject line shown below:

    Subject:  v01i060:  select: a selection widget, Part01/01

identifies this as the 60th source article in Volume 1.  All sources are
broken up into pieces.  This is done so that there could be a proper storage
directory when patches are issued. This is part 1 of a 1 part posting.