Commentary for third public review of X3J11 C

Steve C. Simmons scs at itivax.UUCP
Thu Aug 25 00:09:14 AEST 1988

Re the numeric problems: I agree with your assessments.  But since
this is largely a library issue, it is possible to cure the problem
even with implementations that are seriously munged.  This is not
enough of an issue to make further delays in the standard.

There's no reason why a revision of the standard cannot begin almost
immediately.  Clearly the folks who need the numeric changes should
get together, formalize their needs, educate the rest of us on their
necessity, and propose it for the revision.

If we insist on making the changes in the *present* proposed standard,
I think we're looking at major delays.  Let's get the standard out
NOW, and tighten down the libraries later.
--
Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!vax3!scs
Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.