my two cents

Dan Schmidt dschmidt at athena.mit.edu
Mon Aug 8 12:57:23 AEST 1988

In article <5812 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, davidra at batcomputer (David A. Rabson) writes:
] I just got my hands on a copy of the second edition of K&R and was
] distressed to read that "[string constants] are no longer modifiable,
] and so may be placed in read-only memory."
]
] This will cause mktemp() and many, many other things to break.  I hope
] the committee will reconsider this: if it stays in the standard,
] people who write compilers are going to have to add a compiler option
] to turn it off.  More likely, they will keep it off by default.

The GNU C compiler does not allow the programmer to modify string constants.
This feature can be turned off.

Dan Schmidt
dschmidt at athena.mit.edu