__STDC__ and non-strictly conforming ANSI C compilers

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Dec 20 08:24:19 AEST 1988

In article <14134 at oberon.USC.EDU> blarson at skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) writes:
>>There
>>really ought to be a way for a program to specify that a predefinition
>>of a particular identifier is expected.
>
>#ifndef FROBUZ
>    ??= error	FROBUZ must be pre-defined!
>#endif

No, you miss the point.  What I was saying was not "there ought to be a
way for a program to insist that a predefinition is required" but "there
ought to be a way for a program to tell the compiler that a predefinition
is legitimate and does not mess up the program".
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu