__STDC__ and non-conforming ANSI C compilers

Norman Diamond diamond at csl.sony.JUNET
Fri Dec 23 13:17:48 AEST 1988

In article <14856 at lll-winken.llnl.gov>, casey at gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:

> The Apollo SR10 compiler defines __STDC__.  It supports functional
> prototyping.  It does not support any other feature of ANSI C that I
> know of.  In particular, I know that it does not support the new "##"
> preprocessor syntax to generate a null length break between
> preprocessor macros.

> [[It should be noted that Apollo doesn't see any problem with the
> described situation.  They don't feel that they are misusing the
> __STDC__ symbol.]]

Well.

1.  Rhetorical question:  If you buy a history book that contains
deliberate, fraudulent lies, are you legally entitled to a refund?

2.  Sounds like a lot of programmers, who have already put #if __STDC__
in their code, might not mind globally editing __STDC__ to __ANSIC__
after they read this.  Perhaps the committee could be persuaded to make
that change, and trademark it, before things get any worse.  The amount
of future effort that could be saved is substantial.

(Incidentally, __ANSIC__ might be better than __ANSI__ because there
might eventually be __ANSIUNIX__, __ANSIWINDOWS__, etc.)
--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for