__STDC__ and non-strictly conforming ANSI C compilers

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Dec 15 11:08:45 AEST 1988

In article <12643 at bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs at sjs@ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
>I hope that when I say "#ifdef __STDC__" I get no ugly surprises.

Everything Stan said was correct.

Note that macros such as "near" can be defined (as "__near", for
example) in any non-standard header, as well as under control of
compiler options or a special non-ANSI, backward-compatible
version of the cc command.  The constraints against pollution of
the name space by implementations is a great advance in sanity
and should be taken quite seriously.

Let me add that the so-called "common extensions" listed in the
proposed standard are not all guaranteed to be permitted in
conforming implementations.  Some are, and some aren't.  I don't
think that section even belongs in the standard, but I was
obviously outnumbered.  Politics, politics.