Question about regrouping of operands

The Invisible Man jsb at actnyc.UUCP
Thu May 19 04:39:03 AEST 1988

In article <4049 at haddock.ISC.COM> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
)In article <881 at actnyc.UUCP> jsb at actnyc.UUCP (The Invisible Man) writes:
)>In the absence of parens, X+Y+Z can be evaluated in any order, including
)>(Z+X)+Y.
)
)Where do you find this in the dpANS?  As I read it, X+Y+Z and (X+Y)+Z are
)treated identically, and the latter must be evaluated as written.  (Modulo the
)as-if rule.)
)
)Karl W. Z. Heuer (ima!haddock!karl or karl at haddock.isc.com), The Walking Lint

As I re-read it, you seem to be correct.  With the discussion of this issue
often abreviated in the phrase "parentheses force grouping" I am surprised
at this and wonder if the current wording truly expresses the intent of the
committee.

--
		"Notitiae gratia notitiarum"
				jim (uunet!actnyc!jsb)