The type of time_t

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Tue Oct 25 13:45:41 AEST 1988

In article <Oct.24.11.33.01.1988.12179 at ron.rutgers.edu> ron at ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>Frankly, life is going to be screwed up before the time bits are fixed because
>many programs that compute dates think that 2000 is not a leap year.

I doubt that there are many such programs, since the naive algorithm (y%4==0)
happens to agree with the correct one until 2100 (the century and quadri-
century corrections cancel each other out in 2000).  The problem that's likely
to occur in 2000 has to do with two-digit notation for the year; now *that's*
going to screw up a lot of existing code.  (The `date' command doesn't even
*have* a notation to set the date beyond 1999!)