Portable Self-Replicating C Contest

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Thu Apr 13 11:50:34 AEST 1989

In article <12629 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
[about the rule that contest entries must use trigraphs]
> It makes the problem more challenging.  Note that a program which satisfies
> all of the rules except this one is not self-reproducing after a naive
> conversion to trigraphs, because `printf("??=")' will output `#', not `??='.

Yes indeed, such conversions take place even in strings.  I wonder how
such programs execute in environments that don't have a '#' character.

Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for
  If they're also your opinions,   |  re-inventing the wheel, when car
  you're infringing my copyright.  |  manufacturers are praised for it?