New US Rep to ISO C

Rex Jaeschke rex at aussie.UUCP
Fri Apr 28 03:20:40 AEST 1989

> In article <6.UUL1.3#5077 at aussie.UUCP> rex at aussie.UUCP writes:
> > At this stage, the
> >chances of having identical ANSI and ISO standards is very very good.
> >(I have also been a member of X3J11 since December 1984.)
>
> 	I was at the Seattle ISO meeting as the Canadian representative, and
> unfortunately the above is a little optimistic.

It wasn't completely wishful thinking - I remain very optimistic
despit what went on in Seattle.

> 	It is my understanding (I'm not completely sure on all this), that
> if there are more than 2 negative votes internationally then the ISO will NOT
> adopt the Ansi draft as the international standard (ie, they vote by a form
> of modified consensus).  In that case, the standards will be different OR
> there will not be an ISO standard.

That's how Plauger explained it to me. It is extremely likely that X3
will accept the draft ANSI standard as is within about 3 months. Once
that happens, ISO are out on a limb in terms of having something
different. Then THEY have to do the extra technical work needed to
make a different ISO standard. If the two differ, it is still possible
(likely?) that US Govt. validation will be based on ANSI only since
the ISO extensions are not needed for US govt purposes.

Rex