ReadKey like Function in C

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Sun Aug 13 02:56:28 AEST 1989

In article <10712 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <3705 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>How about if someone begs with the ANSI committee to have its
>>implementation as a standard function required for compliance?
>
>Not only is it too late, but I think it was proposed and justly was
>awarded a "VE" stock response code, meaning:  The Standard must
>accommodate a variety of environments.

I don't get it.

All it's gotta say is something to the effect that there should
be a function, call it "readkey()", that returns the value of
the next char from stdin as soon after it's typed as it's needed.
You could even qualify it to apply only when tty input can be
used as stdin.

The Compiler writers are in a much better position to implement
it than are a bunch of fractious C programmers arguing over
whether to use fstat() or ioctl() and the length of timeout()...

Makes me wonder why they haven't, ANSI or no.

				--Blair
				  "ANSI or no."