fork/exec

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Wed Aug 16 03:08:21 AEST 1989

In article <1989Aug15.012607.4529 at utzoo.uucp>, henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> On the hardware used by VMS and RSX, it is verifiably possible to implement
> fork(), since Unix runs on those machines.

True. It's probably possible to implement fork() on the 8051-class chip
in your typical microwave oven. But quite irrelevant to the question of
using Posix as a way to fill in the gaps outside the scope of the C standard.

> (That chortling sound you hear is all the Unix old-timers watching the
> frantic scramble for Unix compatibility by all the people who spent
> years sneering at Unix.  Nyah nyah, we told you so!  :-) :-) :-))

I *am* a UNIX old-timer, Henry.  I'm just a little less parochial than
some.
Business: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"