Inappropriate topics.

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Fri Aug 18 23:37:52 AEST 1989

In article <28442 at watmath.waterloo.edu>, rbutterworth at watmath.waterloo.edu (Ray Butterworth) writes:
[POSIX is an operating system, and not relevant to the C language standard]

That's basically what I said. The problem is that a frequent response
to "why isn't X in X3J11" is "Look in P1003.*, it's in there". The fact
that something is in POSIX isn't really relevant. POSIX is not intended
to fill in he gaps in the C standard. It's an OS standard, not an OS
interface standard (well, it is that too... just not a very portable one).

If we want an interface standard that goes beyond X3J11 without mandating
UNIX, we're going to have to make one ourselves. POSIX is a good starting
point and source of ideas, but no more than that.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'