ReadKey like Function in C

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Thu Aug 17 01:36:02 AEST 1989

In article <10750 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <5692 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Fork() is just plain inefficient unless you have virtual memory support,
> >so few small-system or real-time operating systems use it or even support it.

> Funny how we didn't think it was a big problem on PDP-11 UNIX.

That was before I ran into RSX-11. It's amazing how much more cojones a
PDP-11 has with the right software. Too bad RSX-11 is such a poor
programming environment (albeit better than \most/ real-time systems).
I kind of miss QIO$.

> The "small systems" you mention today have more inherent power than those
> PDP-11s;

Those small systems *are* often PDP-11s, in this industry.

> >It seems to me that there is a need for something between X3J11 and POSIX.

> Feel free.

I'm working on it. Anyone have any ideas? The Software Tools VOS seems
like a good starting point. I found it real handy on those same PDP-11s
running RSX.
Business: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"