setjmp/longjmp

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Wed May 3 02:13:57 AEST 1989

In article <10203 at socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond at csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>Perhaps the marketplace should be encouraged to support this pseudo-standard.
>If customers refuse to buy compilers with misfeatures, even if the compilers
>are compliant, correct results can be obtained.

In article <10189 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) flames:
> Please get with the program...
> so long as the specification is unambiguous you do your customers no
> favor by deviating from it.  You will probably also lose sales when your
> compiler fails standard conformance tests.

Please read what you're following up to. Norman was recommending that compiler
writers guarantee the validity of non-register variables after a longjmp
by not doing certain optimisations around a setjmp call. The standard says
that this behaviour is undefined, so making it do the right thing is quite in
line. This will not cause a compiler to fail any conformance tests.

I agree with Norman... the dpANS handling of setjmp/longjmp is undesirable.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.