Character Sets (was Re: trigraphs)

Robert Claeson prc at maxim.ERBE.SE
Wed May 3 18:39:11 AEST 1989

In article <373 at cybaswan.UUCP>, iiit-sh at cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:

> The idea is that you define 8-bit alphabets, and reserve the character 0xFF
> to indicate "next byte is an alphabet identifier". This allows you to switch
> from one character set to another in mid-text very easily.

Actually, there's an ISO standard for this that uses the SS3 8-bit control
character. I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the standard, but AT&T plans
to use it in the SVR4 tty device driver anyway.
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 (0)758-202 50  Fax: +46 (0)758-197 20