How can I find out cc or cpp symbols?

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
Mon May 8 09:44:51 AEST 1989

In article <25890 at watmath.waterloo.edu> jagardner at watmath.waterloo.edu
(Jim Gardner) writes:
>Also, I don't recall that ANSI has specified that the standard headers even
>have to be files: they could be built in to the compiler. Even if they are
>files, they don't have to be text files that you can easily replace.

This is a point, but I'd consider it unlikely.  Since the ability to read
user-provided #include files needs to be present, it would be extra effort
to provide a different way to handle standard #includes.  And even if the
compiler did something like this, say like the pre-compiled headers provided
in the Manx C compiler on the Amiga, I'd be surprised if the originals weren't
provided as well.

><default.h> (in effect) could be something that is built by the compiler
>at compile time, defining things differently depending on how the compiler
>was invoked, and maybe on things that it can determine about its environment.

This is a more interesting point, and one I hadn't considered.  Ideally, there
would be some way to specify dynamically-determined things directly in the
#include file, but I have no idea how this might be done.  Perhaps <default.h>
could be considered the, ah, default set of options that could be over-ridden
by command-line flags?  But then we're back to where we started....  Hmmmm...
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel at SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg at ncr-sd