Character Sets

Eric Giguere giguere at aries5.uucp
Sat May 27 07:43:32 AEST 1989

In article <456 at cybaswan.UUCP> iiit-sh at cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:
>                                      Interesting though, I had never
>considered the possibility of non-contiguous numbers and alphabetics rearing
>its head now that EBCDIC is dead (slight :-)).

With all those IBM mainframes (you know, the ones that run VM/CMS, MVS, TSO,
etc. -- the operating systems that everyone in the papers is advertising
positions for all the time....) the demise of EBCDIC is still a looooooong
way off.  Remember that Whitesmiths is on the executive of the ANSI committee
and they market a C compiler for those same machines....

....and so do we in Waterloo C.  So programming one of those mainframes doesn't
have to be so bad since there's a real language available....

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere at aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"