const in latest draft

Stan Friesen sarima at gryphon.COM
Tue May 30 06:51:46 AEST 1989

	I have a few questions about the latest draft of the ANSI standard
regarding the treatment of the const qualifier.  I have the Jan. 11, 1988
version of the draft standard and would like to know if there have been any
substantive changes in the rules regarding type qualifiers since then, other
than dropping the noalias qualifier.
	In particular, I would like to know if the clause in 3.5.3 stating
that "For two qualified types to be compatible, both shall have the identically
qualified version of a compatible type" is still present?  Also, is the
footnote on the previous page stating "The implementation may place a const
object that is not volatile in read-only storage" still present?  I presume
that it is still true that "All declarations that refer to the same object
or function shall have compatible type; otherwise the behavior is undefined"
(as per 3.1.2.6).

	I am asking because I question the necessity of an implementation
decision made by Lattice Corp in version 3.4 of their C compiler, and I
need to know if my reasoning based on the Jan 11 draft is still valid.

--
Sarima Cardolandion			sarima at gryphon.CTS.COM
aka Stanley Friesen			rutgers!marque!gryphon!sarima