I can't find a good definition anywhere...

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UUCP
Sun May 14 14:33:05 AEST 1989

In article <10257 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>No!  It is the implementation that I was saying is required to conform
>to the specifications of the Standard whether or not a program contains
>any particular construct (including #pragma).  #pragma is not license
>for the implementation to suddenly ignore the constraints of the Standard.

Then there will be no conformant implementations and Doug's interpretation
will be vacuously correct.  Every implementation I have encountered where
#pragma is supported has at least one way you can use it to do something
non-ANSI.  Is this likely to reverse itself?  Compilers have to live in
the real world, including the grungy goal of backward compatibility.

--
Tom Neff				UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."	Internet: tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET