gcc - with or without a standard library?

Geoff Rimmer geoff at cs.warwick.ac.uk
Sun May 14 01:20:46 AEST 1989

In the preface to K&R 2, it states that

	"The [ANSI C] standard ... specifies a standard library, with
	an extensive set of functions for performing input and output,
	memory management, string manipulation, and similar tasks."

In view of this, is the C standard library going to become part of
every ANSI C compiler?  (I am thinking in particular of gcc).

That is to say, will every C compiler that conforms to the standard,
contain all the 15 standard include files (K&R 2, Appendix B) and the
C standard library of functions?

If so, does this mean that there will be two "include" directories?
One for the standard include files, and one for the
implementation-dependent include files?  And will we need two separate
libraries?  (For example, as far as I know, ANSI C is not required to
have the function "opendir".  However, this appears in many C
libraries at present).

Thanks in advance.

Geoff - "C retains the basic philosophy that programmers know what
	 they are doing" - K&R 2

	|	GEOFF RIMMER  - Friend of COCA COLA CLASSIC		|
	|	email	: geoff at uk.ac.warwick.cs			|
	|	address : Computer Science Dept, Warwick University, 	|
	|		  Coventry, England.				|
	|	PHONE	: +44 203 692320  (secretary will take message)	|
	|	FAX	: +44 865 726753				|