ansi c and directories

Martin Minow minow at mountn.dec.com
Thu Nov 23 07:31:01 AEST 1989

In article <20881 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>In any case, directory operations were clearly beyond the
>scope of the standard at the time it was begun---opendir &c. were
>nowhere near universal in 1985.

Decus C supported directory operations in its first public release in 1981.
The code ran on a half-dozen operating systems.  I even wrote Unix-specific
variants of the functions around that time, but I cheated by implementing
the directory scan operation by opening a pipe and forking a subprocess
that executed the 'ls' command, then parsing the results.  (A classic
Unix hack if there ever was one.)

So, there was prior art, even if it wasn't politically correct.

Martin Minow
minow at thundr.enet.dec.com
The above does not represent the position of Digital Equipment Corporation