Macro names imbedded in pp-numbers [repost]

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Nov 18 04:10:25 AEST 1989

In article <11134 at riks.csl.sony.co.jp> diamond at ws.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>... Does anyone think we can appeal to reason in this case,
>so that implementations might be allowed to expand macros that are
>found as independent real-tokens even though they're not separate
>preprocessor-tokens?

I don't think the situation can arise, actually.  A careful reading of
2.1.1.2 item 7 yields:  "Each preprocessing token is converted into a
token."  Note the singular pronoun; it's in there because I pointed out
that there was no requirement elsewhere that the conversion be one-to-one.
A preprocessing token which cannot be converted into a single real token
is illegal.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu