constant expressions

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Fri Aug 17 01:23:45 AEST 1990

In article <1924 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com (diamond at tkovoa) writes:
>Besides clearly NOT REQUIRING translation-time evaluations, I have also seen
>clear REASONS for this non-requirement...

Given that the compiler is required to do type checking (must produce a
diagnostic for a violation of the rules), it's going to have to evaluate
constant expressions as subscripts in array declarations.

>If your target machine can handle
>128-bit ints, your host machine is not required to provide a simulator.

Provided it can get exactly the same effect, which is going to be tricky.
The *preprocessor* is not required to emulate target arithmetic, but the
rest of the compiler is nailed down pretty strictly.
--
It is not possible to both understand  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and appreciate Intel CPUs. -D.Wolfskill|  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry