strncat is insufficient

Kent Paul Dolan xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
Thu Aug 23 23:24:00 AEST 1990

gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> karl at kelp.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>>... I would propose replacement functions along these lines: ...

>I maintain that this is inappropriate in the comp.std.c newsgroup,
>since there is no connection with the topic of the C standard (unless
>of course you're submitting your suggestions to ISO, which hasn't
>wrapped up the IS yet).

[I _swore_ I wouldn't let myself get into this mess again. I find I lied.]

Unless the rules for ANSI Technical Committees have changed a lot since I
was a member, the rule is that a standard must be reviewed at least every
five years.  While the _current_ ANSI standard being formalized by ISO may
not be in the part of its life cycle where technical change input is very
welcome, the committee has the ongoing responsibility to accept and file
suggestions for change/criticisms of the current standard for the _next_
review cycle.

The standard, as opposed to its current draft, is open for suggestions so
long as the TC continues to do business.  Hoping the user community will
shut up and go away, and trying to promote that behavior by deprecating
further suggestions, are not appropriate actions within the formal
rules for ANSI technical committees.

However, posting to comp.std.c does not (again, unless the rules have been
changed) constitute "suggesting a change"; that is done on paper, to the
TC's business addresse, and is best done by quoting the current standard's
wording, and suggesting new wording, in concert with reasons why the change
is a good idea.

Given all that, suggestions for improvements to the standard are as valid
a discussion topic here as are requests for clarification of the standard.

Kent, the man from xanth.
<xanthian at Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian at well.sf.ca.us>