Proposed Enhancement to select/case (yes, I know...)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Aug 31 07:43:36 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug30.164610.3519 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <BURLEY.90Aug30030645 at world.std.com> burley at world.std.com (James C Burley) writes:
>>... how about this: allow ranges (and, perhaps, lists) on case statements.
>Such a feature appeared in one draft of ANSI C, and disappeared in the
>next.  I believe the reason was the usual:  there was no implementation
>experience with it, and it was a minor convenience rather than a solution
>to a serious problem.

That's why it vanished.  Although it was before my time, I heard that
the reason it appeared was that the preceding X3J11 meeting was held in
Europe and was overrun with Pascal freaks.  The Pascalisms were removed
at the next meeting, where C freaks dominated.