Floating point output

Jeff Dalton jeff at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 29 03:01:54 AEST 1990

In May 13 1988 draft (sorry, it's the only one I have), X3J11/88-90,
it says:

   A strictly conforming program ... shall not produce output
   dependent on any unspecified, undefined, or implementation-
   defined behavior.  [Section 1.7, page 4]

Since the representations of floating types are unspecified,
what, if any, output of fp numbers is allowed in strictly
conforming programs?

There's a more general question (or more then one) lurking
in here somewhere, but I'm not sure how to state it (them)
precisely.

-- JD