void*

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Thu Aug 16 18:34:24 AEST 1990

In article <17416 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at kelp.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>In article <13548 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Indeed, I wouldn't include the relevant
>>header in most implementations of standard library functions, since it
>>usually isn't either necessary or useful to do so.

And, of course, don't forget that the implementor can use whatever
non-standard extensions in the library source that she or he wants to.  Such
as using gcc's extension that has sizeof(*(void *)) == 1.  That would
eliminate the need for casts for things like malloc, memcpy, etc.

Karl *did* make a good point, that I deleted, about using the "standard"
include files to make sure the prototypes agree.  But remember that the
libraries might not be writtin in C at all, and the prototypes either
directly copies from the standard (with, hopefully, the parameter names
removed 8-)), or generated by some utility.

Just my $0.02 (Canadian).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "let's face it, finding yourself dead is one
seanf at sco.COM    |   of life's more difficult moments."