Naming

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Mar 3 04:25:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb28.221425.6430 at siia.mv.com> drd at siia.mv.com (David Dick) writes:
>>>[The names in the standard library are also reserved]
>>>Remember that you can no longer "roll your own" version of any
>>>of these routines.
>
>>You never could.  The rules haven't changed in that respect; only the degree
>>of formalism in stating them.
>
>1. Which rules are you speaking of that haven't changed?  I thought
>that there weren't any rules before the new ANSI C standard.

Which means that you couldn't count on being able to override standard
routines.  Things not promised in the specs are not promised, period.
That's what Karl meant:  the all-bets-are-off nature of the situation
has not changed, but the fact is now documented.

>2. We've used a number of different versions of malloc of our own
>and other's devising.

If it works, it works.  There is no promise that it will continue to do
so, or that it will work on a different implementation.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu