Are Stringize and Token Pasting operators in the Std?

Arthur B. Smith art at dinorah.wustl.edu
Thu Mar 1 01:56:11 AEST 1990

Here's a quick question for someone with a copy of the Standard.

According to both K&R2 and Mark Williams Company's "ANSI C, A Lexical
Guide" (A very useful book, BTW), the stringize (#) and token pasting
(##) operators are part of the standard (sections 3.8.3.2 and 3.8.3.3,
respectively).  Unfortunately of five C compilers (with varying levels
of (real and imagined) ANSI compliance) I have available, only one
implements both operators, and another implements only token pasting.

So are these in ANSI C (sections 3.8.3.2 and 3.8.3.3)?

Please e-mail to me.  I will post the answer if IMWTK.

    TIA!
    art smith
(art at dinorah.wustl.edu   -or-   ...!uunet!wucs1!dinorah!art)