Braced initializers (again)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat May 26 17:12:47 AEST 1990

In article <5910 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>Is there any way to elect and publish amendments to an ANSI
>document without having to reapparove and reprint the entire thing?

Printing doth not an ANS make.  There is an entire process that must
be gone through, and we just finished one such.  (It took several years.)

There is no way to change the official ANS for C through short-cuts.
However, it is possible for X3J11 to prepare for release "information
bulletins" containing interpretation of the standard; of course the
interpretation should be exactly that and not some wild contradiction
of what the standard actually says.  Such interpretations would not
have the legal force of "standard", but we do expect that as civilized
cooperative gentlemen everyone involved would agree to be guided in
THEIR interpretation of the standard by these official bulletins.