boolean (was... never mind)

cepek at spanky.mgi.com cepek at spanky.mgi.com
Thu May 31 11:15:50 AEST 1990

 In article <4232 at castle.ed.ac.uk> aipdc at castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul D. Crowley)
 writes:
>Peeve: why doesn't C have a type "boolean" built in? It seems natural,
>and I'm sure there's some compiler somewhere that could use it to
>improve executables.

Among our "company-common" .H files, the compiler/target-machine dependent
one includes the following pseudo-types:

#define	bool	int8		/* smallest entity for TRUE or FALSE	*/
#define	boolean	int		/* fast/simple entity for TRUE or FALSE	*/

This allows the programmer to choose between space and speed.  "int8"
represents the smallest, "reasonable accessable" datum size available
for this particular compiler/target-machine.  "int" seems the logical
choice for boolean here, but perhaps on some machine somewhere a smaller
datum would be as easy/faster to use for the simple operations that
booleans are involved in.

|  Michael Cepek                               "Engage."                 |
|  Programmer/Analyst                                                    |
|                                       Internet:  Cepek at MGI.COM         |
|  Management Graphics, Inc.               Voice:  +1 612/851-6112       |
|  1401 East 79th Street                Operator:  +1 612/854-1220       |
|  Minneapolis, MN  55425  USA               Fax:  +1 612/854-6913       |