"Broken" compilers

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Wed May 2 13:18:33 AEST 1990

In article <16582 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
 >In article <1626 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com (diamond at tkovoa) writes:
 >>In article <1990Apr26.125851.20728 at contact.uucp> ross at contact.UUCP (Ross Ridge) writes:
 >>>The macro a expands to 5 517 094 707 031 349 characters.
 >>
 >>Yeah, I thought that was greater than 509.
 >
 >The 509-character limit to which you seem to refer is for a "logical source
 >line", which is what you have after backslash-newline splicing but *before*
 >macro expansion.  Peter's example does not exceed this limit.

A logical source line means *both* before and after macro expansion.  The
limit applies until phase 7.  (I also have a letter from Tom Plum, though
not a formal ANSI ruling, that the limit applies after macro expansion.)

Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC     diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
This_blank_intentionally_left_underlined________________________________________