Questions about NCEG

Richard Sargent richard at pantor.UUCP
Fri May 25 00:54:45 AEST 1990

> From: tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff)

> People want hex float so they can represent 7/4096, say, without
> worrying about flipping a digit and making hash.

I don't get it. Why would you code some indecipherable
'magic' fraction rather than just simply declare:

	float fract = 7.0/4096.0;

and let the optimizer/compiler turn that into the correct
constant?

Maybe Rex J. can tell us why have hex constants for float.

Richard Sargent                   Internet: richard at pantor.UUCP
Systems Analyst                   UUCP:     ...!mnetor!becker!pantor!richard