Braced initializers (again)

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Tue May 29 11:19:38 AEST 1990

In article <13002 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>... interpretation of the standard; of course the
>interpretation should be exactly that and not some wild contradiction
>of what the standard actually says.

Huh?  Some of the interpretations already wildly contradict what the
standard actually says.  To be more precise, the standard says some
things that are wildly different from what was intended, and the
interpretations made a lot more sense.

>Such interpretations would not have the legal force of "standard",

We would certainly be better off giving precedence to the interpretations
(at least those already issued) over the wording of the standard itself.

>but we do expect that as civilized cooperative gentlemen

Indeed, in this field, most of the civilized cooperative gentlepersons
are civilized cooperative gentlemen.  (And the ratio is similarly
lopsided for those who are uncivilized and/or uncooperative.)
But let's express hopes for ALL civilized cooperative gentlepersons.

Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC     diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Proposed group comp.networks.load-reduction:  send your "yes" vote to /dev/null.