<varargs.h> vs. function prototypes

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Wed Jun 19 05:04:06 AEST 1991

>In article <159364 at pyramid.pyramid.com> markhall at pyrps5.pyramid.com
>(Mark Hall) writes:
>>	#ifdef __STDC__
>>	void foo(char *format, ...)
>>	#else
>>	void foo(format, va_alist) char *format; va_dcl
>>	#endif
[and on from there]

In article <1991Jun18.145823.2512 at cbnewsk.att.com> hansen at pegasus.att.com
(Tony L. Hansen) writes:
>The above form for <varargs.h> usage is wrong. ...

This is correct; however, I have used the above, and continue to use it,
in 4BSD code, with the excuse that:

 a) it is far clearer; and
 b) if your varargs does not handle it, you can probably obtain an ANSI C
    implementation and use the __STDC__ code anyway.

In other words, we are not willing to bend over backwards (for compatibility)
until it hurts, only until it is mildly uncomfortable. :-)

Chris
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov