call to revolt

Norman Diamond diamond at jit533.swstokyo.dec.com
Thu Jun 27 13:28:34 AEST 1991

In article <4880 at inews.intel.com> bhoughto at bishop.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>>In article <rabson.677868220 at physics.ubc.ca> rabson at physics.ubc.ca (David Rabson) writes:
>>>>		void *thing;
>>>>		((int *)thing)++;
>This'll do it, too:
>	thing += (int *)1;

Oh no, not again.  I thought addition of pointers had been beaten to death.

>(see ANSI X3.159-1989, sec. 3.3.16.2, p. 55, ll. 20-21, and
>footnote 51 at the bottom of p. 51, for proof...)

Well, the page numbers are different in the last draft version, and
footnote 51 has nothing to do with it, but I still see nothing that
hints at the legality of adding two pointers.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.