<varargs.h> vs. function prototypes

Norman Diamond diamond at jit533.swstokyo.dec.com
Fri Jun 14 12:33:11 AEST 1991

In article <16405 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>By the way, I take exception to the implementation warning you that no
>prototypes exists, unles you have specifically asked for that check.
>The C standard does not require that prototypes be used.

But an implementation is allowed to issue spurious diagnostics.
Presumably spurious diagnostics can convey useful information  :-)
We agree that in a quality implementation, there would be an option to
turn useful spurious diagnostics on or off.  But as for which setting
to use for the default, what is high quality to one person seems to be
low quality to another person.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.